Third Extraordinary Legislative Session
The 3rd Extraordinary Special Session of 2018 concluded its work shortly after 8:00 p.m. on Sunday, June 24, 2018.
- Higher education institutions and system funding is restored to the FY 18 level of $743M.
- TOPS funding is appropriated at $294.6M, which represents full funding for the FY 19 fiscal year. (Includes $57.9M from the TOPS Fund)
- $3.2M to Southern University for accreditation needs.
- $2M to Louisiana Office of Student Financial Assistance (LOSFA) for additional GO Grant funding (state funded need-based aid). Total funding is now budgeted at $28.4M. This is the first funding increase for the program in 10 years.
- $1.5M to Grambling State University for STEM program upgrades to increase four- and five-star job production.
- $200K to LOSFA to provide GO Grants for Youth Challenge Program graduates.
Governor John Bel Edwards is expected to sign both the revenue and appropriations bills into law.
Statement from Dr. Kim Hunter Reed
“Today’s final action is outstanding news for our students, families and the institutions that serve them. We’re grateful for the bi-partisan legislative actions that have resulted in stable funding for higher education, full funding for TOPS and increased support for need-based aid. Thanks to the Governor and legislators for their prioritizing our students.”
Dr. Kim Hunter Reed, Commissioner of Higher Education
Louisiana Board of Regents