Kim Hunter Reed, Ph.D. is Louisiana’s Commissioner of Higher Education. She is the only female in the country currently serving as a state higher education lead who has led higher ed in more than one state.
Working with the Louisiana Board of Regents, Reed is leading the state’s efforts to increase educational attainment by developing its talent base resulting in a more prosperous Louisiana that seeds innovation, grows opportunity and secures a bright economic future. To reach the state’s goal of doubling the number of credentials by 2030, Reed focuses on collaborative efforts that increase access, equity and completion to meet Regents’ talent imperative
Reed has extensive higher education and government experience. As Executive Director of the Colorado Department of Education Reed oversaw the implementation of nearly $109 million in additional support for Colorado Higher Education, bringing funding levels in the state to a historic high. She also served in President Barack Obama’s administration as deputy undersecretary at the U.S. Department of Education and led the White House Initiative on Historically Black Colleges and Universities.
A Lake Charles native, Reed chaired Louisiana’s higher education transition team in 2015 and served as the State’s policy director. Reed also served as chief of staff and deputy commissioner for public affairs for the Louisiana Board of Regents and executive vice president of the University of Louisiana System.
Reed received a doctorate in public policy from Southern University, a master’s degree in public administration and a bachelor’s degree in broadcast journalism from Louisiana State University.
Reed is a wife, proud mom to her favorite Millsaps University student and Louisiana’s chief advocate for talent development.
Commissioner Reed in the News
- January 16, 2020 – The “Re: Connection” Blog Series: Dr. Kim Hunter Reed — Year Two and a Look to the Future
- December 18, 2019 – ULM Commencement speaker: ‘Be a forever learner’
- December 3, 2019 – La. Commissioner of Higher Education to address ULM Commencement
- February 18, 2019 – Higher ed commissioner addresses LSU hazing allegations
- February 18, 2019 – Louisiana community colleges too costly, state’s higher education chief says
- February 18, 2019 – Developing Louisiana talent key to Regents’ Master Plan update
- January 26, 2019 – Commissioner of Higher Education visits NSU
- August 23, 2019 – Dr. Kim Hunter Reed’s remarks about former Gov. Kathleen Babineaux Blanco at an interfaith service Thursday
- December 11, 2018 – Commissioner of Higher Ed to speak at LSU Eunice commencement
- October 2, 2018 – COMMISSIONER OF HIGHER EDUCATION MAKING HER ROUNDS First Generation Day, Reed visits students at MSU, Sowela
- October 2, 2018 – New LA Commissioner of Higher Education shares future goals at rotary
- October 1, 2018 – Louisiana commissioner of higher education makes stop in Lake Charles
- August 28, 2018 – Back-to-School Tour with Dr. Kim Hunter Reed
- August 28, 2018 – New La. Higher Ed Commissioner Visits LSUS
- August 27, 2018 – Louisiana’s Commissioner of Higher Education tours NWLA colleges
- August 27, 2018 – New commissioner of higher ed. takes a tour of Shreveport colleges
- August 27, 2018 – New Commissioner of Higher Education embarks on “Back to School” Tour
- August 21, 2018 – Reed praises SW La. for focus on higher education
- August 20, 2018 – Higher Ed Commissioner visits UL
- August 14, 2018 – New higher ed commissioner kicks off state tour at LSUA
- August 13, 2018 – New Commissioner of Higher Education visits Cenla
- August 3, 2018 – Official addresses grads at LSU — a school her grandparents couldn’t attend
- August 6, 2018 – First Person with Dr. Kim Hunter Reed
- Spring 2018 – Dr. Kim Hunter Reed Returns to Louisiana to Continue Higher Education Mission
- April 18, 2018 – Educator, former Blanco aide Kim Hunter Reed named Commissioner of Higher Education